Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can I create playlist of random albums limit with query criteria, then (Read 3534 times) previous topic - next topic

Can I create playlist of random albums limit with query criteria, then

I'd like to use foobar2000 to manage playlists of albums for my Android phone.

1) Playlist should consist of random albums (songs within album in sequential order), with some query criteria specified, such as genre=Rock, playcount  > 3, last played > 30 days, etc.

I should be able to implement the criteria with autoplaylists (file:///C:/program%20files%20(x86)/foobar2000/Query%20Syntax%20Help.html), but don't know how to sort by random albums

I could write the playlist to a file and use a python script to sort, but it wold be easier to do it all in foobar

2) The android music player does not keep track of playcount and last played date, so I'd like to be able to increase playcount of all songs in the playlist by one and bump the last played date to some date.  How can I do this?  The Playback Statistics context menu does not seem to have these functions.

3) I'd like to copy the playlist and songs to my phone over USB. Alas, the phone (a Galaxy Nexus) does not work as a USB Mass Storage Device but uses the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) instead.  Based on http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....howtopic=101466 there's no sync component, unless someone has more recent information.

The closest I can come is copying the songs and playlist to a new directory, then moving to the phone with windows explorer or adb (from the android sdk).  That's probably good enough.

4) I'd like to limit the size of the files in the playlist (e.g., 4 GBs), but as I understand it that is not possible. Any change on that front?

Reply #1
1) Playlist should consist of random albums (songs within album in sequential order), with some query criteria specified, such as genre=Rock, playcount  > 3, last played > 30 days, etc.

I should be able to implement the criteria with autoplaylists (file:///C:/program%20files%20(x86)/foobar2000/Query%20Syntax%20Help.html), but don't know how to sort by random albums

foo_random_pools might be an easier (possibly better) option for this.

2) The android music player does not keep track of playcount and last played date, so I'd like to be able to increase playcount of all songs in the playlist by one and bump the last played date to some date.  How can I do this?  The Playback Statistics context menu does not seem to have these functions.

You can't.

4) I'd like to limit the size of the files in the playlist (e.g., 4 GBs), but as I understand it that is not possible. Any change on that front?

foo_random_pools can limit size based upon physical size.

Reply #2
foo_random_pools is excellent. Thanks!

As another way to not include recently played music on a new playlist, is there a way to specify a query to the effect: not in name_of_playlist?  That way I could create a new playlist that would not include albums included in recently created playlists.

Reply #3
No, title-formatting and query syntax consider only the physical audio file in question and a few external data such as statistics from foo_playcount. There is no way to retrieve a list of which playlists contain a particular file.

The only other option is to store a list of which playlists a file is associated with in the file itself, update this as you go along, and use that in your queries.

A quick search reveals that I’m not alone in either of these deductions:
I don't think it's possible to do exactly what you want without creating a custom plugin.

However, my suggestion would be to add a custom metadata field to mark the files from your existing "manual" playlist. That way you can easily create two autoplaylists - one to represent the old one and a new one that doesn't overlap the other.

FWIW, a dynamically generated (not physically stored) field as you supposed is something that is requested with some regularity. I can’t recall reading anything about it being specifically rejected by the developers, but it’s probably best not to get your hopes up in either case. Feel free to mark this as another request, obviously.

Reply #4
warning: useless post alert.

i'm absolutely flabbergasted that an android device is presenting itself with MTP. i'd have thought it goes against everything android is about. utterly bizarre. 

have you looked to find any workarounds at all?

Reply #5
No, title-formatting and query syntax consider only the physical audio file in question and a few external data such as statistics from foo_playcount. There is no way to retrieve a list of which playlists contain a particular file.

The alternative is to write the new playlist and the old playlist to files and then write a simple script to read those to playlists and create a third playlist consisting of songs in new playlist but not in old playlist.

That's such a trivial task that I'm surprised there's no way to do it in foobar2000. OTOH, it's trivial enough that it's hard to complain much.

Reply #6
warning: useless post alert.

i'm absolutely flabbergasted that an android device is presenting itself with MTP. i'd have thought it goes against everything android is about. utterly bizarre. 

have you looked to find any workarounds at all?

I agree completely about MTP

Possible workarounds:

1) Copy all the files you want to send to the device to a new directory.  Use windows explorer to copy those files to the device.

2) The android sdk includes adb.exe.  Get that, install some drivers and turn on USB transfer on the device. Then you can use adb to copy files or directories to the device, delete files from the device, etc.

3) I've seen python code to sync with an MTP device in calibre, an open source ebook manager. The code is long and complex, at least for me.

4) Some android music managers reportedly include the ability to sync from a computer to an MTP phone.