Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tag in AIFF lose. (Read 2362 times) previous topic - next topic

Tag in AIFF lose.

I just rip a CD track to AIFF by itunes.

If I embedded album cover into it by foobar2000, the tag of the music would lose.
However, if I do the same action by iTunes(embedded cover), the tag can still display in foobar2000.

Tag in AIFF lose.

Reply #1
If I embedded album cover into it by foobar2000, the tag of the music would lose.
The tag is lost where? In foobar2000? In iTunes? Both? And is that all the tags, or only the cover, or only the textual fields?

Are you aware that foobar2000 only supports tagging of AIFF files since v1.2.5 beta? Are you definitely using the latest version?

Please provide a usable description of the issue, in any case. The usual: What exactly did you do? What did you expect to result? What actually happened instead? Which things (versions, etc.) were involved in the entire process? And so on. These conditions are all specified in the rules of Support.

Tag in AIFF lose.

Reply #2
The tag is lost where? In foobar2000? In iTunes? Both? And is that all the tags, or only the cover, or only the textual fields?

Are you aware that foobar2000 only supports tagging of AIFF files since v1.2.5 beta? Are you definitely using the latest version?

Please provide a usable description of the issue, in any case. The usual: What exactly did you do? What did you expect to result? What actually happened instead? Which things (versions, etc.) were involved in the entire process? And so on. These conditions are all specified in the rules of Support.

My foobar2000 version is v1.2.5 final.

Well, the tag will lose in foobar2000 and the values will disappear, but it still can display in iTunes.
In this case, I embedded front cover into a AIFF file ripped by iTunes, then the tag will all disappear in fb2k though it can still display in iTunes.

But when I convert a track from FLAC, TAK or rip from a CD to AIFF by fb2k, then if I embedded front cover into this AIFF, the tag and cover can display successfully in foobar.

This situation would happened only when I do not edit other tags by fb2k before embedding album cover.

Tag in AIFF lose.

Reply #3
Are you sure the tag is still there though?  iTunes does not remove metadata from its database if the corresponding tag got removed in the file.  The only way to check if iTunes can still read the tag is to make a copy of the file and import it into iTunes (with the different filename).

Tag in AIFF lose.

Reply #4
Are you sure the tag is still there though?  iTunes does not remove metadata from its database if the corresponding tag got removed in the file.  The only way to check if iTunes can still read the tag is to make a copy of the file and import it into iTunes (with the different filename).

I tried it again. And as you said, both foobar2000 and iTunes cannot read the tag. Maybe it's metadata would lost completely.

Tag in AIFF lose.

Reply #5
Seems iTunes writes ID3v2.2 tags to AIFF files by default.... anyway, bug fixed for the next foobar2000 update, thanks for the report.

Temporary workaround:
If you perform ANY tag edits other than updating attached pictures in foobar2000 first, the tag gets cleanly updated to ID3v2.3; you can safely update the attached pictures afterwards.

It seems we have the same exact bug with MP3 files too (now fixed).
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.